Custom Search

Monday, April 21, 2014

The Bundy Affair - Who Was Not In The Front?

Gary Hunt - Cross posted in full, with permission

Outpost of Freedom

April 19, 2014


Before I get to the meat of this article, I am going to present my assessment of the well known videos/articles asserting Sheriff Richard Mack laying claim that, as at least one of the headlines states, "Former Arizona Sheriff Reveals Chilling Strategy to Put Women ‘Up at the Front’ During Bundy Ranch Standoff".


When I first read of this proclamation by Sheriff Mack, I had two thoughts.  First, if that was the strategy, and was implemented, what made him think that he should divulge the tactic in a public proclamation?  The only answer I could come up with was self-aggrandizement.


Second, if the women "were up front", what  would make him feel a need to go public with why they were up front, unless he thought that he could bolster his reputation by laying claim as the proponent of it, again, self-aggrandizement.


In viewing the pictures of the Saturday rescue of the cattle, I didn't see women at the fence while the discussions were going on, nor was I able to discern women in a 'risky' position in any of the footage, however in some scenes, the distance was too great to discern male or female, and I was also limited to the tunnel vision of the camera operator.  This, however, was insufficient, by my standards, to make an assessment and go public with it.


Then comes Kelly Townsend, of the Phoenix Tea Party, who I have spoken with in the past.  I received what follows from another source, so I called Kelly to verify the veracity of what will be made clear, below.  Kelly confirmed that she had made contact and received the two responses that are contained therein.


Perhaps it is time to reevaluate the participation of certain people within the Patriot Community, at least as to their motives.  Not to suggest that they are not patriotic, rather to ascertain just what their priorities are in their involvement.  There is a phrase that was commonly expressed in the nineties to describe many who "sold" information, plans, even ideologies, for a price.  The were called "Patriots for Profit".  Now, can we doubt that some of those players in these recent events haven't benefitted financially (contributions to their respective causes), substantially, by their support of the efforts of those on the ground in Bunkerville, Nevada?  However, I think that we need to also ask, is what they raised as a consequence of their participation going back to the ranch, to sustain the continuing effort, providing food, supplies, and perhaps some token payments, to those who have freely, often solely at their own expense, and put their lives on the line?


* * * * * * * * * * * * *Folks,


We need your help to dispel a terrible rumor that was started by one of our own.  Sheriff Mack thought it would be a good strategy to put women and children up front in the confrontation between the Bundy family and Federal agents.  Because he said that, it has now become the narrative that the Bundy family actually did do that.  I have had two of the women send me statements that they are trying to get out in order to undo the damage caused by this unfortunate miscalculation on the Sheriff's part.  Please help the ladies right the wrong and send the statements out to everyone you know, asking them to do the same.Thank you,


Kelly Townsend As a woman rider on Saturday I can confirm that the statement made was untrue.  In fact it was opposite.  We were told to stay at the rear.  If a shot [was] fired, we were to ride as fast as we could for safety.  The women did not approach the gate until BLM had dispersed and metro had arrived.  These were officers of our community that we knew and trusted, otherwise we would have remained where the Bundy men told us to stay.  The Bundy men are protectors and would not have allowed any harm to come to us.  We were there on our own accord for the freedoms of our children.  


Briana Bundy To whom it may concern


I would like to put an abrupt stop to the rumor concerning the speculation that women and children were strategically placed at the front of the protest against the BLM on Saturday April 12th.  I was one of 5 women that was horse back that day, and never once was I asked or told to stand at the front of the pack.  The cavalry of horses was stopped by members of the Bundy family that were also riding, before we dropped off the hill into the wash in order to have a prayer.  There, we were asked once we entered the wash to spread into a straight line and stand as a united front.  We were asked to be Christ like and reverent.  We were asked not to taunt or yell obscenities.  As a woman, I chose to stand with the Bundy family.  I chose to ride into that wash, along side my husband and my friends in order to stand for something I believe is right.  And contrary to current rumor, I was instructed that if anything were to go wrong, I was to turn my horse around and get somewhere safe as fast as possible.  I think I can speak for most of the women in that wash on Saturday, when I say that standing along side the Bundy family, not in front of or behind them, but with them, was a choice me made that day and would make again.


Thank you,


Haley Crandall* * * * * * * * * * * * * 


Then ponder, who did stand in front at Lexington Green?


            "No man thinks more highly than I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the very worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the house.  But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen, if entertaining, as I do, opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely, and without reserve.  This is no time for ceremony.  The question before the house is one of awful moment to this country.  For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery.  And in proportion to the magnitude of the subject, ought to be the freedom of debate.  It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth and fulfill the great responsibility which we hold to God and our country.  Should I keep back my opinions at such a time through fear of giving offense I should consider myself guilty of treason toward my country and of an act of disloyalty toward the majesty of Heaven which I revere above all earthly kings.


             Mr. President it is natural for man to indulge in the illusions of hope.  We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth - and listen to the song of the siren till she transforms us into beasts.  Is this the part of wise men engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty?  Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation?  For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it might cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it.Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775 (Liberty or Death speech)  


This article can be found on line at The Bundy Affair - Who Was Not in the Front?  


Gary Hunt


Outpost of Freedom


The past is infinitely important. However, it pales in importance to the future.