Custom Search

Monday, May 14, 2012

Wisconsin Recall Update: Walker 9 Point Lead

By Susan Duclos

Recall election date: June 5, 2012. 

We Ask America has come out with their latest polling numbers.

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, the Republican that unions and liberals are attempting to replace with a recall election polls at 52 percent.Tom Barrett, the Democratic candidate that Dems thought had the best chance against Walker, 43 percent. Undecided, 5 percent.

H/T Hot Air for pointing to a piece at The Plum Line showing Wisconsin Democrats are "furious" that the Democratic National Committee is refusing to make a major investment in the Wisconsin recall battle.

Previous polling from Marquette University,  April 26 - April 29, 2012, polling likely voters, had Walker up by 1 percent.

 Rasmussen Reports on May 9, 2012,  polling likely voters, had Walker up by 5.

Now the We Ask America lead of 9 percent.

One of the reasons that Walker may be pulling so far ahead in the polls is that the massive deficit that his very controversial reforms addressed, has turned into a projected surplus for the state, according to a May 2012 article from AP.

But the state Department of Revenue now estimates that the state will take in about $265 million more than the bureau expected, which should translate to a $275.1 million surplus on June 30, 2012, and a $154.5 million surplus on June 30, 2013, Department of Administration Secretary Mike Huebsch wrote in a letter to Walker.

With the DNC worried about trying to keep control of the Senate in November when they have 23 seats on the ballots and Republicans only have 10 and trying to help Obama get reelected, they are not about to throw money to any cause unless they think there is a chance to win.

With a nine-point spread between Walker and Barrett, Walker's war chest holding far more money and Republicans and the RNC fully behind Walker, the turnaround from a  $3 billion budget shortfall to a projected $300 million surplus, on top of the fact that there is less than a month until the recall election, it appears to be a bad bet to be handing out any money to Wisconsin Democrats.

Walkers website is here.