Custom Search

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Does Barack Obama Think America Has 57 States or 60?



(YouTube URL here)

Weekends can be slow news days sometimes, but once in a while a politician will say or do something that with create a buzz around the Internet and get people talking. Barack Obama had such a moment while in Oregon when he said he had been in 57 states.
Imagine a writer's surprise when the first thing seen upon turning on the computer is story after story about Barack Obama being in Beaverton, on a two day stop at Oregon and during a speech he was giving he said, "It is wonderful to be back in Oregon. Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not justify it."

Many are saying Obama, being tired and exhausted from the constant campaigning, said there were 57 states, but in looking at what he said, it looks like he mentioned 57 states he had been to, one still to go and then he mentions Alaska and Hawaii, which totals 60 states, not just 57.

Either way, there are 50 states in America and that includes Alaska and Hawaii.

Needless to say, this has become fodder for the news outlets as well as the blogosphere, where even liberal bloggers, shown by Marc Ambinder putting this in the "If McCain did this", files.

At a later stop, Obama started to address what he said, saying, "I hope I said 100,000 people the first time instead of 100 million. I understand I said there were 57 states today. It's a sign that my numeracy is getting a little, uh."

An aide cut him off at that point and ended the explanation.

It does seem that many are having a little fun with this story and one blogger, Suitably Flip, has even created and unveiled a new lapel pin for Obama, and American flag with 57 stars which seems to have amused the LA Times blog.

.

.