Custom Search

Saturday, May 24, 2008

John McCain Slaps Barack Obama Around Over GI Bill

Wizbang refers to it as a smack down and after reading John McCain's response to Obama regarding the GI Bill, that is an understatement.

Via the Politico, I see that John Mccain's campaign has issued a statement to Barck Obama's comments regarding the Webb's GI Bill which passed in the senate by 75 to 22.

Obama's statement:

"I respect Sen. John McCain's service to our country," Obama said on the Senate floor this morning. "He is one of those heroes of which I speak. But I can't understand why he would line up behind the president in opposition to this GI Bill. I can't believe why he believes it is too generous to our veterans. I could not disagree with him and the president more on this issue."


McCain's response made me think of a person swatting a wayward child on the butt fro uttering idiocy.

Excerpts of McCain's response:

"It is typical, but no less offensive that Sen. Obama uses the Senate floor to take cheap shots at an opponent and easy advantage of an issue he has less than zero understanding of. Let me say first in response to Sen. Obama, running for president is different than serving as president. The office comes with responsibilities so serious that the occupant can't always take the politically easy route without hurting the country he is sworn to defend. Unlike Sen. Obama, my admiration, respect and deep gratitude for America's veterans is something more than a convenient campaign pledge. I think I have earned the right to make that claim."

McCain shows a deep understanding of the differences in just talking the talk as Obama is fond of doing and walking the walk as McCain has been doing for decades.

McCain also points out that whether people like his positions or not, he stands on principle rather that simply doing what is politically expedient for the sake of winning over an extra vote or two.

"But I am running for the office of Commander-in-Chief. That is the highest privilege in this country, and it imposes the greatest responsibilities. It would be easier politically for me to have joined Senator Webb in offering his legislation. More importantly, I feel just as he does, that we owe veterans the respect and generosity of a great nation because no matter how generously we show our gratitude it will never compensate them fully for all the sacrifices they have borne on our behalf.


He goes on to point out the differences in his proposed bill from Webb's bill and then gets to the the last part of smacking Obama around a little about speaking about things he knows nothing about.

"I know that my friend and fellow veteran, Senator Jim Webb, an honorable man who takes his responsibility to veterans very seriously, has offered legislation with very generous benefits. I respect and admire his position, and I would never suggest that he has anything other than the best of intentions to honor the service of deserving veterans. Both Senator Webb and I are united in our deep appreciation for the men and women who risk their lives so that the rest of us may be secure in our freedom. And I take a backseat to no one in my affection, respect and devotion to veterans. And I will not accept from Senator Obama, who did not feel it was his responsibility to serve our country in uniform, any lectures on my regard for those who did.


McCain ends with this:

"Perhaps, if Senator Obama would take the time and trouble to understand this issue he would learn to debate an honest disagreement respectfully. But, as he always does, he prefers impugning the motives of his opponent, and exploiting a thoughtful difference of opinion to advance his own ambitions. If that is how he would behave as President, the country would regret his election."


GAME.SET.MATCH. McCain.

Read the whole statement from the McCain campaign at The Politico.

I do have to agree with the writer of the Wizbang piece when she says, "After this, I cannot WAIT until McCain gets to actually debate Obama in front of a live audience. Obama's gonna get schooled, son!"

When reading both of their statements it is easy to see why many reiterate time and again that Obama is inexperienced and naive, especially in comparison with John McCain.

It is like watching an adult responding to a child.

.