Custom Search

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fred Thompson Drops Out of Race

I have often said that some candidates just don't catch fire and although I was personally hoping Fred Thompson would, he was my candidate of choice, for whatever reason he was one that didn't catch fire with conservatives enough to continue and he has decided to drop out of the presidential race and at this time is not endorsing anyone, although many believe that when he does, it will be John McCain.

Thompson's statement:

Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the United States. I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people.


This follows Duncan Hunter that has also dropped out.

I also have been in great favor of narrowing the field after so many months of political campaigning in a season that seemed to start right after the 2006 elections with no breathing room in between and Thompson is bowing out at an appropriate time.

More from the Campaign Spot, The Politico, and AP.

This is disappointing for those of us that thought he was the best conservative candidate, but not completely surprising because he is also a realist and the reality is things just didn't spark for him and this was the classiest move for him to make.

Others without a shot at the nomination should have the same class and narrow the field even further.

It is now time for those of us that supported Thompson to decide who else we are willing to get behind, what person closely aligns with our positions, who stands on principle and who has the electability factor to keep the White House in 2008.

All of which are important considerations taken alone but it is critical that all three of those aspects be taken into account.

Thanks for giving it a shot Fred, we truly appreciated it and you.

.