Custom Search

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lowe's apologizes for catalog calling Christmas trees "Family" trees

In a catalog that went out before an error was noticed, Lowes had advertised Christmas trees as "Family Trees" which riled a few people, understandably, but Lowes has issued a release, explaining and apologizing.

I was going to write about this earlier, but after joining the Lowes online site, I saw that it was calling Christmas trees, exactly that, Christmas trees.

So I decided to wait and I am glad I did.

I always say, when somebody does the right thing, it should be acknowledged just as prominently as when they do the wrong thing.

Lowes statement from an email I received from the American Family Association (AFA):

Dear Susan,

Following a phone call to AFA Director of Special Projects Randy Sharp this morning, Lowe's sent the following correspondence from Chris Ahearn, Vice President, Public Relations for Lowe's.

Randy, Thanks for taking my call this morning. Let me reiterate my apology that we had an advertising error that created a stir. Here's a statement that we'd appreciate your posting on your web site, if possible:

Lowe's has contacted the AFA and assures us that it is proudly committed to selling Christmas trees this year, as it has done for more than 60 years. The company apologized for the confusion created in its 2007 holiday catalog when it headlined the page of Christmas trees "family trees." The error was not caught before the publication was distributed, and Lowe's says it is disappointed in the breakdown in its proofing process.

Lowe's assures us that they refer to trees as Christmas trees in this season's television and magazine ads and in its advertising flyers. The company says it is redoubling its efforts to proof its catalogs in the future to prevent this issue from recurring.

We appreciate Lowe's for listening to its customers and responding appropriately to our concerns.


I have to say, good for Lowes and good for the AFA.

Lowes for instantly issuing their statement and for continuing to stand by Christmas.

AFA for making sure they sent out Lowes new release explaining the situation.

There are other holidays and everyone is entitled to celebrate the holiday of their choice and none of them should be discriminated against.

My Jewish grandmother used to have her Menorah right next to the Christmas tree she set up to make sure my father was comfortable and his holiday was represented and that we children got a taste of both.

I hate when people mess with Christmas.

I love the Christmas season. The decorations, the happiness, the kids faces lighting up, the songs, picking out my Christmas tree, spending days decorating it and placing gifts underneath it... its all magical.

Never let anyone take the spirit of this wonderful holiday, away from it by deliberately backing away from saying the word "Christmas" because of some sort of misguided political correctness.

Thank you Lowes.

.