Custom Search

Monday, December 17, 2007

Surprise for Romney, Congressman Steve King Endorses Fred Thompson

Looks like MSNBC jumped the gun when they announced that Rep. Steve King was endorsing Mitt Romney, then as an update showed that the endorsement went to Fred Thompson.

*** UPDATE *** King just announced that he's supporting Thompson. Team Romney is in the back of the room looking bewildered. They were all here, leading all the press to conclude that it was an endorsement for Romney.

Stand by for more.


From Blogs for Fred Thompson we have Thompson's statement on Steve King's endorsement:

"Congressman King's leadership in support of the sanctity of life and his efforts in the fight against illegal immigration have made him one of Iowa's great Republican leaders. He's a tireless fighter for the 5th district of Iowa and I'm honored by his support. I look forward to working with Congressman King over the next three weeks and into 2008 in support of the traditional conservative values he and I share."


Michelle Malkin mentions Romney's "Clintonian" answers about Amnesty on Meet The press yesterday... that definitely wouldn't have gone over well with King.

Everyone seemed to think that King's endorsement was going to go to Mitt Romney, especially the Romney team.

Radio Iowa describes the scene as it unfolds, from Romney's people showing up to Thompson's people showing up and then Steve Kings announcement:

"It is a very heavy decision, among the hardest decisions that I have ever made in my life....I want to say this about Rudy Giuliani, the America's mayor...I differ with him on a few issues...(mentions sanctuary cities)....that's where I part company at least for the time being....John McCain has served America every day of his adult life....this is a very solid, patriotic man...(but King cites immigration & ethanol as stumbling blocks)...I am a great admirer of John McCain...then I'm down to the remaining three and I will tell you that Mike Huckabee, you can't not like Mike Huckabee...He brings a lot of tools to the table, along with a great sense of humor....(but King questions his immigration policies in Ark)...I have to draw the bright line on the rule of law....So I'm down to, of course, Romney and Thompson and in the end I have to come down on the side of this -- who am I most comfortable with on the issues that I believe in....When I see someone who believes in their core....when they make a decision, if they're where I am philosophically....so after really, I didn't sleep last night but I come here to the podium to tell you that I have great respect for all the candidates."

King now veers into a discussion of faith -- an apparent reference to Romney's Mormonism. King suggests no one should be denied the presidency because of their personal faith.

Now, he's talking about "fire in his belly" and concludes with this, calling his pick, "the person who I believe destiny has called to be the president of the United States. I will be working for...Fred Thompson for president."

They say a week can be a lifetime in politics and since we are just weeks away from the first primaries, it looks like that old adage is true and as fast as the news comes out, it changes.

With McCain receiving two papers endorsements yesterday and well as having the Union Leaders endorsement and the announcement of Joseph Lieberman endorsing McCain, and now this for Thompson... the race is on for Iowa.

.