Custom Search

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Jolting Joe Draws the Line in the Sand

I have said multiple times I do not agree with Joe Lieberman on all issues, I also do not agree with President Bush on all issues. I have also stated I like both men because they stand on principle instead of making their decisions based on what the latest poll shows.

From Politico:

Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut told the Politico on Thursday that he has no immediate plans to switch parties but suggested that Democratic opposition to funding the war in Iraq might change his mind.

Lieberman, a self-styled independent who caucuses with the Democrats, has been among the strongest supporters of the war and President Bush’s plan to send an additional 21,500 combat troops into Iraq to help quell the violence there.

"I have no desire to change parties," Lieberman said in a telephone interview. "If that ever happens, it is because I feel the majority of Democrats have gone in a direction that I don't feel comfortable with."

Asked whether that hasn't already happened with Iraq, Lieberman said: "We will see how that plays out in the coming months," specifically how the party approaches the issue of continued funding for the war.

He suggested, however, that the forthcoming showdown over new funding could be a deciding factor that would lure him to the Republican Party.

A threat or a simple statement of fact? Did Lieberman just throw down the gauntlet, as some are suggesting or is he simply stating the obvious?

We should welcome Lieberman into the Republican party should he decide to switch.

My reasoning? Because he does not walk in lockstep with either party, he decides issues based on what HE thinks is right and he doesn't back down on his stance.....even when it could have cost him his Senate seat as it threatened to last November.

Looking through some of the nutroot sites, it appears that the Democratic base does not want someone that thinks for themselves, they would rather someone that votes against his own prinicples because the "party" says so.

Wrong guy!!!

If he does decide to switch party, in effect, handing the senate back to the Republicans, the nutroots of the Democratic party has no one to blame but themselves.... Remember Lamont?

Furthermore, if he switches to the Republican party I am sure there will be plenty of issues that I will disagree with him on, but I will continue to respect the man for having principles and standing by them, come hell or high water.

Jolting Joe is a wildcard to be sure, but he is the type of politician I have always looked for when I vote... One that has integrity, a word that many of the congress and senate on both sides of the aisle should look up and learn.

So, come on over Joe, the waters warm, the sun is bright and the drinks are on me.

.