Custom Search

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DFAS Offers Tax Help for Military Retirees, Annuitants


8899 East 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249
Press Release 0111-001
For Immediate Release

January 4, 2011

Making it easy to get your military retiree/annuitant tax statements
Indianapolis (Jan. 4, 2011) -- Now that you have the holiday decorations put away and you've begun your New Years resolutions, it's time to get things ready to file your tax returns.

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service, the folks who pay military retirees and annuitants through their Retired and Annuitant Pay operation, have several alternatives should your Form 1099R become lost in the mail or if you misplace it and need another copy.

Retirees and annuitants who have an active myPay account can now access their 1099R online. 1099R’s were not mailed to these users unless they have selected the hardcopy option for their annual account statement or tax forms.

1099R forms were mailed to all other retirees and annuitants between Dec. 19 and 31. According to Retired and Annuitant Pay officials, mailed forms should be received by mid-January. If you have not received yours by that time, verify DFAS has your correct mailing address by calling 800-321-1080. myPay users can check their mailing address online.

If you do not receive a 1099R by mid-January, there are three ways to obtain a replacement:

Members can view, print or save a copy of a 1099R using myPay by following the steps below:

Go to

Enter your Login ID on the home page.

Enter your password on the virtual keyboard when prompted.

Access 1099R from the “Main Menu” by clicking on the "Tax Statement" option.

View, print or save tax statement. Those who have trouble reading the graphic version should click the “Text Version” link.

Users who have trouble accessing myPay should call 888-332-7411 and select option number 5. Customer support is available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Eastern time. Videos that explain how to use myPay are available at
Automated Phone System:

Call R&A Pay at 800-321-1080.

Select option 4 to request a 1099R 24 hours a day, seven days a week without waiting to speak to a customer service representative.

Enter your Social Security Number using your touch-tone keypad when prompted.

1099R should arrive in 7 to 10 business days.
If you are still experiencing difficulties and need to speak to a customer service representative, you should call 800-321-1080 Tuesday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. EST and select option 0. In the event that call volumes are high and DFAS is unable to serve customers as quickly as we would like, you may experience a “courteous disconnect” informing you that you are either being routed back to the automated system or requesting that you call back at another time. This avoids long delays caused by excessive wait times.

Written request:
Write a short letter requesting a new copy of your 1099R.

Include your name, Social Security Number, mailing address, signature and date.

Fax your request to 800-469-6559 or mail it to:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retirement Pay
P.O. Box 7130
London, KY 40742-7130
Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Annuitant Pay
P.O. Box 7131
London, KY 40742-7131

A 1099R copy should arrive in about two weeks.

[H/T Jane]