Custom Search

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Racist Benediction

"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to
give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red
man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right," Lowery
said.

Yesterday's inauguration had difficulty keeping my attention between the boring hours of news anchor filling the screen with their polished and poised countenance and their ever present white noise. When I was not tuning out news anchors I was attending to my children. I was trying to make them watch the events of the day even though they were too young to understand what was going on. However when I heard the benediction my attention was piqued.

I had a hard time understanding why a Reverend would be awakening racial anger on such an important day for America, but that is what the benediction did. It surely put off many people.

As a white woman I feel that it is only my right to express my opinion to the last part of the benediction, yes I have opinions about the entire paragraph, but I want to keep the focus on what upset me the most.

When white will embrace what is right...

Allow me to give examples with freedom and equality as specifics.

To read the rest visit my blog at Daughter of America