UPDATED LIST FOUND HERE- Now 347 Sheriffs and 14 Sheriff's Associations.
[Updated List of 283 Sheriffs and 8 Sheriff's Associations, found HERE]
(Updating the list as more Sheriffs stand up and speak out)
[Update 1/30/13] two more, totaling 122 Sheriffs now- names added at the bottom of the list.
CNN reports Barack Obama plans to "talk guns" with police chiefs and Sheriffs, and in that piece Obama asserts " So much of the challenge that we have in our politics right now is that people feel as if the game here in Washington is completely detached from their day-to-day realities. And that's not an unjustifiable view," he said.
Obama also said that those on the other side “have to do a little more listening than they do sometimes.”
Obama is the one that believes gun control, and Second Amendment supporters' willingness to fight for their rights as do the 90 Sheriffs and two Sheriff's Associations, each of which includes dozens of other sheriffs, is all about politics, because gun control is part of Obama's political agenda.
Public statements and open letters sent to the Obama administration from Sheriffs across the country, show exactly what they believe the issue is and it certainly isn't "politics" when they state clearly they will not enforce or allow to be enforced in their territories, any gun grabbing policies coming out of Washington or by presidential decree that violates their citizen's constitutional rights.
A few examples:
The Utah Sheriff's Association's letter to Obama states "We respect the Office of the President of the United States of America. But, make no mistake, as the duly-elected sheriffs of our respective counties, we will enforce the rights guaranteed to our citizens by the Constitution. No federal official will be permitted to descend upon our constituents and take from them what the Bill of Rights-in particular Amendment II-has given them. We, like you, swore a solemn oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, and we are prepared to trade our lives for the preservation of its traditional interpretation."
Madison County Alabama Sheriff Blake Dorning states "The federal authorities can try to enforce it. I’m the Sheriff of Madison County. I took a constitutional oath to defend the Constitution of the United States of America, to defend the Constitution of the State of Alabama, even if it takes my life. That is my position."
MO Sheriff Charles M. Heiss in an open letter to the Obama administration says "As the duly elected Sheriff of Johnson County, Missouri, it is my sworn duty to protect and defend the Constitutions of the United States of America, and the State of Missouri against all enemies both foreign and domestic. This means I not only have the duty to protect my constituents from incidents of crime, but I also have a duty and responsibility to protect and preserve the individual rights and liberties afforded and guaranteed to every citizen by our constitutions. This, Mr. President is a duty I fully understand, appreciate, and will carry out with great vigor and conviction. I will most certainly urge my fellow Sheriffs in the State of Missouri and across this great nation to rise to the defense and aid of all Americans should the federal government attempt to enact any legislation, or executive order that impedes, erodes, or otherwise diminishes their constitutional right to keep and bear arms."
Josephine County, Oregon Sheriff Gil Gilbertson, said in a letter to Biden: (Full letter here) states "As such, any rule, regulation, or executive order repugnant to the constitutional rights of the citizens of this County will be ignored by this Office, nor will this office, or the citizens, allow enforcement of unconstitutional activities by federal officers.
We refuse to participate, or allow our law-abiding citizens to be criminalized through constitutionally repugnant actions by misguided intentions or politicians."
Linn County Sheriff Tim Mueller and Crook County Sheriff Jim Hensley have both sent the same letter, with their respective locations and names, stating "Any federal regulation enacted by Congress or by executive order of the President offending the constitutional rights of my citizens shall not be enforced by me or by my deputies, nor will I permit the enforcement of any unconstitutional regulations or orders by federal officers within the borders of Linn County Oregon.
In summary, it is the position of this Sheriff that I refuse to participate, or stand idly by, while my citizens are turned into criminals due to the unconstitutional actions of misguided politicians."
Walton County Sheriff Michael Adkinson states "As Sheriff of Walton County, I am charged to act as the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the county. The authority of this office is not subject to the submission of any other state or federal law enforcement agencies. I as Sheriff of Walton County will support, protect, and defend the liberties and rights of the people of Walton County. In regard specifically to the second amendment, neither I nor my deputies will support any attempt to circumvent the constitution of the United States by executive order or unlawful legislation."
Those are just a few example showing that the position of the 90 Sheriffs and two Sheriff's Associations , are not political, but are constitutional.
As was noted yesterday, Virginia's Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety voted overwhelmingly on a bill to prevent state officials from helping to enforce any new federal gun-control laws that might be passed.
There are also thirteen states, to date, introducing Second Amendment preservation and firearm protection legislation.
Reason's Hit And Run has compiled the list of 90 Sheriffs and the two Sheriff's Associations that have spoken up so far.
PS- With the 30 from the NM Sheriffs Association not named individually, the amount of Sheriff totals 120, so far.
LIST OF STATE SHERIFF’S ASSOCIATIONS1. Utah Sheriff’s Association
2. New Mexico Sheriff’s Association (30 out of 33 sheriffs)
LIST OF COUNTY SHERIFFS1. Sheriff Glenn E. Palmer - Grant County, Oregon
2. Sheriff Gil Gilbertson – Josephine County, Oregon
3. Sheriff Tim Mueller – Linn County, Oregon
4. Sheriff Adam Christianson – Stanislaus County, California
5. Sheriff Brad A. DeLay – Lawrence County, Missouri
6. Sheriff Charles M. Heiss – Johnson County, Missouri
7. Sheriff Steve Cox - Livingston County, Missouri
8. Sheriff Jon Lopey – Siskiyou County, California
9. Sheriff Craig Zanni – Coos County, Oregon
10. Sheriff John Hanlin - Douglas County, Oregon
11. Sheriff John Bishop – Curry County, Oregon
12. Sheriff Larry Blanton - Deschutes County, Oregon
13. Sheriff Jim Hensley – Crook County, Oregon
14. Sheriff Denny Peyman – Jackson County, Kentucky
15. Sheriff Roy Klingler – Madison County, Idaho
16. Sheriff Blake Dorning – Madison County, Alabama
17. Sheriff Justin Smith – Larimer County, Colorado
18. Sheriff Al Cannon – Charleston County, South Carolina
19. Sheriff Ana Franklin – Morgan County, Alabama
20. Sheriff Andy Hughes – Houston County, Alabama
21. Sheriff Stacy Nicholson – Gilmer County, Georgia
22. Sheriff Robin Cole – Pine County, Minnesota
23. Sheriff Bill Snyder – Martin County, Florida
24. Sheriff Ed Kilgpore – Humboldt County, Nevada
25. Sheriff Tom Bosenko – Shasta County, California
26. Sheriff John D’Agostini – El Dorado County, California
27. Sheriff David Hencraft – Tehama County, California
28. Sheriff Dean Growden – Lassen County, California
29. Sheriff Dean Wilson – Del Norte County, California
30. Sheriff Mike Poindexter – Modoc County, California
31. Sheriff Thomas Allman - Mendocino County, California
32. Sheriff Mike Downey - Humboldt County, California
33. Sheriff Larry Smith - Smith County, Texas
34. Sheriff Kieran Donahue - Canyon County, Idaho
35. Sheriff Margaret Mims – Fresno County, California
36. Sheriff Pat Garrett – Washington County, Oregon
37. Sheriff Dan Staton – Multnomah County, Oregon
38. Sheriff Scott Mascher - Yavapai County, Arizona
39. Sheriff Micahel A. Helmig - Boone County, Ohio
40. Sheriff A.J. Rodenberg - Clermont County, Ohio
41. Sheriff Terry Maketa - El Paso County, Colorado
42. Sheriff John Cooke - Weld County, Colorado
43. Sheriff Scott Berry - Oconee County, Georgia
44. Sheriff Frank Denning – Johnson County, Kansas
45. Sheriff Stan Hilkey – Mesa County, Colorado
46. Sheriff Terry Box – Collin County, Texas
47. Sheriff Chuck Wright - Spartanburg County, South Carolina
48. Sheriff Greg Hagwood - Plumas County, California
49. Sheriff Frank McKeithen - Bay County, Florida
50. Sheriff Roger Garrison - Cherokee County, Georgia
51. Sheriff Tony Desmond - Schoharie County, New York
52. Sheriff Richard Devlin Jr. – Otsego County, New York
53. Sheriff Bruce Haney – Trinity County, California
54. Sheriff Wayne DeWitt - Berkeley County, South Carolina
55. Sheriff Bob ‘Big Block’ Colbert – Wagoner County, Oklahoma
56. Sheriff Joel W. Richardson – Randall County, Texas
57. Sheriff Mike Scott – Lee County, Florida
58. Sheriff Mike Winters – Jackson County, Oregon
59. Sheriff Brian Wolfe – Malheur County, Oregon
60. Sheriff Cameron M. Noel – Beaver County, Utah
61. Sheriff Tom Rummel – Sanders County, Montana
62. Sheriff Jeff Christopher – Sussex County, Delaware
63. Sheriff Brad Rogers, Elkhart County, Indiana
64. Sheriff David Edmunds – Summit County, Utah
65. Sheriff James Tracy – Utah County, Utah
66. Sheriff Robert Dekker – Millard County, Utah
67. Sheriff Frank Park – Tooele County, Utah
68. Sheriff J. Lynn Yeates – Box Elder County, Utah
69. Sheriff G. Lynn Nelson – Chache County, Utah
70. Sheriff James Cordova – Carbon County, Utah
71. Sheriff Jerry Jorgensen – Daggett County, Utah
72. Sheriff Todd Richardson – Davis County, Utah
73. Sheriff Travis Mitchell – Duchesne County – Utah
74. Sheriff Greg Funk – Emery County, Utah
75. Sheriff James D. Perkins – Garfield County, Utah
76. Sheriff Steven White – Grand County, Utah
77. Sheriff Mark Gower – Iron County, Utah
78. Sheriff Alden Orme – Juab County, Utah
79. Sheriff Lamont Smith – Kane County, Utah
80. Sheriff Blaine Breshears – Morgan County, Utah
81. Sheriff Marty Gleave – Puite County, Utah
82. Sheriff Dale Stacey – Rich County, Utah
83. Sheriff Rick Eldredge – San Juan County, Utah
84. Sheriff Brian Nielson – Sanpete County, Utah
85. Sheriff Nathan Curtis – Sevier County, Utah
86. Sheriff Jeff Merrell – Uintah County, Utah
87. Sheriff Todd Bonner – Wasatch County, Utah
88. Sheriff Cory Pulsipher – Washington County, Utah
89. Sheriff Kurt Taylor – Wayne County, Utah
90. Sheriff Terry Thompson – Weber County, Utah
[Update] Two more in MO.
91. Sheriff Gerry Dinwiddie- Ralls County, Missouri
92. Sheriff Jimmy Shinn- Marion County, Missouri
[Update] Also president of the Missouri Sheriff's Association has also issued a letter to MO. Governor Jay Nixon