Custom Search

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Republican Rep. Mark Souter Resigns After Affair With Staffer

Out with the old and in with the new.

The Politico:

Rep. Mark Souder (R-Ind.) is resigning from Congress after telling colleagues he had an affair with a female aide.

"I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff," Souder said in a statement Tuesday. "I am so shamed to have hurt those I love."

Souder said his resignation – which will take effect Friday — is "the best decision for my family, the people of northeast Indiana and our country."

"In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain,” Souder said. “I am resigning rather than put my family through that painful, drawn-out process."

“Diane and my family were more than willing to stand here with me. We are a committed family. But the error is mine, and I should bear the responsibility.”


When are politicians going to learn they willingly place themselves in the spotlight and if you cannot walk the walk you keep talking about, then don't join the game to begin with.

Best thing I can say here for Souter is he was caught, he admits it, he resigns fast and turns this back into a private matter between he and his family.

.