Custom Search

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Officer Erik Hite-1965-2008


~Miss Beth~

Yesterday, June 1, 2008, I was spending my Sunday like any other--sleeping in late after some studying, listening to my children arguing as to why my son was doing the dishes without being told (my birthday is in June and the kids never remember what day-they know it's in June, just not what day) and snickering over it, the first cup of coffee before more studying and reading my daily reads.

We don't watch a whole lot of tv at my house--I don't have cable, although I do have enough videos and DVD's to out fit my own Blockbuster (or so I've been told). So there was a movie playing and I was once again cracking the books.

Little did I know a drama was playing out in my town--and I didn't find out until the late night news.

Mid-morning, a man started shooting at houses. When officers were called, he shot them--one in the shoulder and one had his head grazed by a bullet. The shooter drove off, with the shoulder shot officer (among others) in the chase. About 20 miles across town, after laying in ambush, the shooter shot Officer Hite several times. He was airlifted to UMC and put on life support, not expected to live. Early this afternoon, Officer Hite lost his struggle, although he was breathing on his own when he breathed his last.

The last time Tucson lost an officer was May 26, 2003.

Officer Hite was 43 years old and a 4 year veteran of Tucson Police Department. He leaves behind his wife, an infant daughter who will "celebrate" her first birthday Saturday, more than likely at her father's graveside, and a son who is in the military. He was also a 21 year Air Force veteran, serving as a sergeant, serving in the 12th Air Force Weather Division. He was surrounded by his wife, children and parents when he died.

Donations are being accepted at any Wells Fargo branch in the name of Officer Eric Hite Benefit Fund. All city flags have been ordered flown at half staff until his funeral and procession.

His accused killer, David N. Delich, was ordered held on $2.5 million bond.