The highlights of the video that has gone viral of 15-year teaching veteran Ellie Rubenstein, resigning from her job due to retaliation against four teachers who were vocal in advocating for their children, are provided by TheBlaze:
Frustrated and out of options, Rubenstein decided to resign instead of face the transfer — and she did it in a way that has garnered over 350,000 views.
Among her concerns that have now gone viral:
- “I have experienced the depressing, gradual downfall and misdirection of education that has slowly eaten away at my love of teaching.”
- “The emphasis in eduction has shifted from fostering academic and personal growth in both students and teachers, to demanding uniformity and conformity.”
- “Raising students’ test scores on standardized tests is now the only goal, and in order to achieve it the creativity, flexibility and spontaneity … have been eliminated.”
- “Everything I loved about teaching is extinct.”
- “Curriculum is mandated. … The classroom teacher is no longer trusted or in control of what, when, or how she teaches.”
- She says complaint forms and write-ups are being used as tools to target teachers and keep them as “yes men,” instead of being used to get rid of poor educators — and she even takes a shot at the union.
This comes on the heels of an article here on WuA, just this morning, where an Illinois teacher is now facing disciplinary actions for informing his high school students of their constitutional rights.