Leave it to Dana Loesch over at RedState to point out the stupidity of Colorado Democrat Representative Joe Salazar's argument to strip college women of their Second Amendment constitutional right to bear arms in order to protect themselves from rape. (Video over at RedState)
“It’s why we have call boxes, it’s why we have safe zones, it’s why we have the whistles. Because you just don’t know who you’re gonna be shooting at. And you don’t know if you feel like you’re gonna be raped, or if you feel like someone’s been following you around or if you feel like you’re in trouble when you may actually not be, that you pop out that gun and you pop … pop around at somebody.”
First and foremost, once coming of age to legally own a gun, it is a right, a constitutional right, that shall not be infringed, to bear arms and have the ability to defend.
Secondly, one has to wonder how many cases Mr. Salazar has heard of where a college female has "popped" someone following them, or stalking them or mistakenly thought they were going to be raped.
Then he should compare those numbers to the ones over at the link Ms. Loesch so helpfully provided which shows the national statistics of sexual violence on college campuses.
Key stats from the link above:
• One in 4 college-aged women report experiences that meet the legal definitions of rape or attempted rape.
• One in 5 college women are raped during their college years.
• 81% of women who were stalked by a current or former partner were also physically assaulted by that same partner (US Department of Justice, 1998)
• One in 12 college men admitted to committing acts that met the legal definition of rape.
• More than one in 5 men report "becoming so sexually aroused that they could not stop themselves from having sex," even though the woman did not consent.
• 35% of men report some likelihood that they would rape if they could be assured they wouldn't be caught or punished.
• Nearly 60% of rapes occur in the survivor's residence hall
Did Mr. Salazar's "safe zones" and "whistles" protect those women?
Salazar has since apologized for offending anyone, but see, his political ideology is that guns will not make women any safer and women should not be allowed their constitutional right to bear arms if they are in college.
The Colorado House, controlled by Democrats, just passed four gun bills, one of which was to "Ban concealed weapons on college campuses." These bills will now go before the Democratically controlled Senate and then to the Democratic Governor of Colorado.
Here is another statistic from the link above:
Nearly 60 percent of rapes occur in the survivor's residence hall, meaning 40 percent of rapes are not in the female college student's residence and Mr. Salazar's "safe zones" and 'whistles" didn't do a damn thing to stop them.
Once passed, Colorado Democrats will have effectively told women they have no right to adequately defend themselves from being raped while attending college.
And they say Republicans are waging a war on women?