Custom Search

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Must Read- Over Taxing The Rich Makes Them Want To Work Less

A must read article from someone that would be hit if the Bush Tax cuts expire and how it would make him work less therefore contribute less.

Teaser:

HERE’S the bottom line: Without any taxes, accepting that editor’s assignment would have yielded my children an extra $10,000. With taxes, it yields only $1,000. In effect, once the entire tax system is taken into account, my family’s marginal tax rate is about 90 percent. Is it any wonder that I turn down most of the money-making opportunities I am offered?

By contrast, without the tax increases advocated by the Obama administration, the numbers would look quite different. I would face a lower income tax rate, a lower Medicare tax rate, and no deduction phaseout or estate tax. Taking that writing assignment would yield my kids about $2,000. I would have twice the incentive to keep working.


Read the entire piece.

.