Custom Search

Thursday, July 05, 2007

A Foreigner’s thoughts on America!

From Brat.



This post was originally a comment on the Independence Day post that Terri has up. However, as I tried to “comment”, I realised that my feelings for America warranted an actual post…;) So, these are my thoughts as I celebrate this special day with all of you….

First I do have to thank Terri for her post. I learned a lot! And thank YOU CommanderMom AND Dad. I am well aware that the whole family serves when one goes overseas.

Interesting that you were discussing this last night CommanderMom - I was also. ( and btw CommanderMom? Can you email me again plse. I seem to have lost your addy, again!) Anyhow, in a troop support chatroom where I am a moderator (those who know me know where that is..lol) I asked those present - all Americans - what it meant to THEM to be Americans. The prevailing theme? No surprise: FREEDOM! So I then asked what THAT meant (no of course I am not argumentative…..hehehehe) but I was interested. We talked about how so many on this continent take their freedoms for granted every single day, and have NO clue what the cost of that freedom is. How valuable freedom is. And we talked about those we love being overseas right now serving the mission of freedom in countries who have never known the freedoms we are blessed with here. We talked about the children (if you know me, you know thats always a given….lol) and how the future of children in Iraq and Afghanistan - their future depends on US here educating OUR children as to the value, necessity for us to step up and serve our countries when the call goes out. As WE here in ASM and other sites know, many don’t wait for the call - they volunteer. They volunteer because they believe in their countries, they believe in the call of freedom for ALL children. And they serve. They serve their countries, they believe the future of all children is worth protecting, and they serve US.

And again, I was reminded of how blessed WE - the home team - is. We have so many freedoms. So, so many. And we know that these freedoms are worth defending with every cell of our beings. And as I celebrate today with all of you proudly, (and yes again - those who know me, and ANY American history…lol - love the irony of that statement!) I wonder what the American forefathers would think about the digraceful whiners (I am being kind there!) of this modern day America. I wonder what MY forefathers - who fought long and valiantly in the name of MY country’s freedoms, would think as the societies we are blessed with are torn apart by those who have both short memories of their history and blinkers on today - and refuse to see what the consequences of “bring our troops home now” would be to the status quo of the freedoms so many of us take for granted.

From where I sit, it is no longer a matter of is freedom worth fighting for as we have always done, shoulder to shoulder with each other. The time for that debate is OVER! It IS a matter of can we afford NOT to fight to maintain the freedoms we are all blessed with? We all here know the answer to that one..So today - as most days - our troops who “get” what hangs in the balance here, are much on my mind.

And as the day goes on, I read my emails. I watch the posts as many Americans celebrate and DO understand what our focus should be today.

And then, and then: I hear of the Canadians killed today. And the phone rings. Two seemingly unconnected calls but..one is from an American veteran enjoying a well earned July 4 celebration on home soil. The other? A long time American friend; a soldier still serving his country in Iraq. So, no I am not an American, but I can honestly say this day has been overwhelming in the roller coaster ride of emotions. And through it all?

I count my many blessings, the many blessings that come to me from America.

America - I am sooooo grateful for all you have given ME, so grateful for the place you have in my life. My heart is yours.

Thank you.

(Note from Spree: Thanks Brat for the email and for the permission to cross post this in full)

.