Custom Search

Monday, July 23, 2007

DailyKos and Hatred

The two have been synonymous since its creation, which makes me wonder why,all of a sudden, especially after the JetBlue embarrassment, that the founder of DailyKos is worried about the hate filled rhetoric that fills his site.

There has lately been an alarming rise in diaries and comments that seek to impugn (without evidence) the motives of those they disagree with on various issues.

Yes, there's the impeachment stuff, but this nasty rhetoric is also rampant in the primary war diaries.

This points to a serious breakdown not just on civility, but in the ability of people to properly debate various issues. As such, it presents a serious threat to the integrity of this site.


NEWSFLASH, it isn't "lately" or "recent", that site has been filled with hatred since the first time I held my nose and clicked a link to use for one of my posts.

(Continued below the advertisement)

Sopranos Book 468x60

(Continued)

I much prefer it when the community moderates itself, and for the most part it does a good job of this. The libertarian in me prefers it that way. But sometimes, self-moderation isn't enough. I'll act swiftly and mercilessly when I'm pushed into defending the effectiveness of this site. And at this moment, my patience is wearing thin.

Reasonable people, including progressives, can disagree on many of the big issues we face today -- from which candidate to support in the primary, to whether impeachment is the best way to hold this administration accountable, to the merit of gun control or free trade agreements, to how to handle immigration, to whatever else faces our nation. As a site, we strive to provide a safe haven for debate on these matters without it getting -- as has happened of late -- so damn ugly.


Some examples, screen shots included, of some of the hate filled speech allowed on that site, Michelle Malkin has provided a few examples. She credits Ace and LGF.


The diary has now been deleted. It was cross-posted here and now that post has also been deleted. Ace had a correspondent who was able to save and capture the post’s text. Here’s the intro:

KILLITARY: Are America’s Armed Forces Creating Serial Killers and Mass Murderers?

This article in no way is meant to suggest that all miltary members will become serial killers or mass murderers. It does point out a serious problem with what is happening in our armed forces and seeks a solution to help the brave men and women on their return back home.

According to the July 30, 2007 issue of The Nation magazine, damning photos of a U.S. Soldier using a spoon to literally scoop out the brains of a dead Iraqi and pretending to eat the gray matter were recently acquired.

Of course, everyone is appropriately appalled and make all claims of disgust and finger-wagging. Research shows, however, that such unacceptable behavior happens more often than the United States military wants you to know.

When it comes to training killing machines, the military really does create “an Army of one.”

The list of serial killers and mass murderers borne from the military is astounding.

Read the rest.



Simply one example. LGF has often provided examples of the hate speech found at Kos, so again, the question:

Why, all of a sudden, is the founder of Kos concerned?

NewsBusters wonders:

Interesting. Has Markos suddenly been "pushed into defending the effectiveness" of his site? Is it possible that leading Democrats and/or advisors have contacted Moulitsas to warn him that this kind of behavior could make it difficult for them to attend his YearlyKos convention?


No answers, but quite a few questions here.

Another question I think about here is, exactly where is he planning to draw the line? What about the existing diaries and exactly what does he consider hate speech and what does he consider "acceptable"?

LGF brings us a piece that IS still up on the Kos site:

Hello, I’m A. Whitney Brown, and I support our brave troops overseas. We all do and we all should. But what about those troops who are not so brave? Perhaps they just signed up hoping for some extra money for college, for the medical insurance, or even some hot gay military sex.

Suddenly they find themselves in Iraq for the fourth or fifth time and they’re not so brave. In fact they’re crapping in their pants. Shouldn’t we support them just as much? I think we should. In fact we should support them more, because a brave man does but once, whereas a coward dies a thousand deaths.

And we should say we support them, because, frankly, it just doesn’t get said often enough.

Imagine, for example, if anytime any politician mentions any aspect of the war they prefaced their statement by saying ‘I support our troops’, or ‘I support our brave troops’ or even ‘I support our brave troops, even though some of them are gay or scared sh*tless’.

And not just politicians, but religious leaders, news people, commercial businesses, beverage makers, car companies, defense lobbyists - they should all say they support our troops whenever they’re trying to sell their products or pimp their talking points. Because it’s the right thing to say.

Now, I can’t make people say they support our troops. But if I’m the only one who’s willing to stand up and say ‘I support our troops’, then I’ll say it; I support our troops - cowards, queers, and all. ...

So yes, I resent my support for the killing of Iraqis for which I get not even a memento or trophy. But do I still support the individual men and women who have given so much to serve their country?

No. I think they’re a bunch of idiots. I also think they’re morally retarded. Because they sign a contract that says they will kill whoever you tell me to kill. And that is morally retarded.

Friends, the most important moral decision a man makes in the course of a day is “Who am I going to kill today?”

That’s a decision you should agonize over, dream about, rehearse in your mind for hours, not just leave up to some hare-brained President you didn’t even vote for.

A man’s killing list is a very personal matter. It should be between him and those persistent voices in his head.

So to sum up, I don’t like our troops, I don’t like what they’re doing, I don’t like their fat, whining families, and yet, I support them. Thank God I live in a free country. Thank You.


Hot Air brings us the video of this disgusting individual that wrote that.

So, I guess one of my questions have been answered after all, Kos is willing to talk the talk, but as of yet, he is not willing to walk the walk.

He is getting what he has reaped. Hatred filling his site and to "moderate" that hatred would probably mean deleting at least 1/4 of his site's diaries, maybe even 1/2 or more.

Somehow, I doubt he will do it.

.