Custom Search

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Ballooning Accident Leads to One Dead and One Injured

"Wings of Wind" was a one of a kind inverted pyramid balloon that was participating in the Albuquerque Balloon Festival. On Friday Oct 10, 2008 it set sail into the sky one last time.

"Wings of Wind" was the brain child of Keith Sproul of New Jersey, and was being flown at the popular festival. Just before 8am the balloon got caught in power lines and burst into flame. The two pilots of the balloon were caught in an inferno and then ejected from the basket. One fell 30 feet to his death, the other is critically injured. The gondola broke away and drifted in the sky until a helicopter brought it to earth.

The deceased was Senior Master Sergeant Stephen Lachendro, and Keith Sproul was found critically injured.

On a personal note, I knew Steve. He was so very passionate about ballooning and even invited me to join his crew and chaser team. He was the office manager at the 910th Medical Squadron at YJARS ( Youngstown Joint Air Reserves Station). I heard about his death last night and this afternoon conducted a search after my mother told me it was in the news. I watched the video and the pictures of the crash and had to think, this man had a horrific death connected to his one hobby that brought him joy.

My condolences to his family and friends. And Steve I hope you have found happiness on the wings of the wind and are looking down on all of us stuck here on the ground while you fly free.

God Bless