Custom Search

Monday, July 07, 2008

Virginia Senator Jim Webb Takes Himself Off Obama VP List

Barack Obama's vetting team started asking potential running mates for information and documents to vet through for Obama to choose who he wishes on the ticket with him. Jim Webb refused, stating he did not want the position.
Recently Caroline Kennedy and Eric Holder were given the task of vetting potential running mates for Barack Obama and in a sign that the vetting process has begun, they have begun asking for information and documents from people on Obama's list of those to consider, so that backgrounds and careers can be thoroughly vetted.

The Virginia Democratic Senator, Jim Webb refused, telling the Obama campaign that he did not want to be considered for the position.

Today Webb issued a statement saying he would work hard to help Barack Obama get elected but that he does not want to be considered for Obama's vice presidential running mate.

"Last week I communicated to Sen. Obama and his presidential campaign my firm intention to remain in the United States Senate, where I believe I am best equipped to serve the people of Virginia and this country. Under no circumstances will I be a candidate for vice president."


Recently it was reported that Ohio Governor, Ted Strickland had also stated publicly that he would "absolutely not" be Obama's running mate, even if he was asked.

His exact comment was, "Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve.

So, I don’t know how more crystal clear I can be."


At one point it was speculated that General Wesley Clark could make an attractive choice for a running mate as well but given the timing of some controversial statements he made last week, many believe that his name too can be crossed off the list of potential running mates.

The estimated list is getting shorter.

.