Custom Search

Monday, July 21, 2008

My Ancestry and Claim to America

The other day I was involved in a passionate debate with my very liberal and very Italian family. We discussed the state of America from education to immigration. It has always been important to me to see things from the point of view of another, but with my family I also seem to have that feeling reciprocated. This is why an independent like me and old world style Democrats can be in the same family and still be on speaking terms.

...

I am not of the mind that I have anymore claim to the land I live on than the millions of Americans that have been born and raised on this soil from men and women who were American citizens before them. The fact of the matter is all people who are on American soil were immigrants at one time. So when arguments are put forth that the Spanish, the English, or the French were encroaching on territory of natives I usually correct them and say they were encroaching on the land of Asian immigrants.

To read the full story visit Daughter of America.