Custom Search

Friday, January 04, 2008

Andrew Olmsted-Soldier-Blogger- RIP

It isn't often that someone leaves a message to be posted in the case of their death, but Major Andrew Olmsted, soldier, husband, son, brother, and blogger did just that and unfortunately, heartbreakingly, the need to post his "Final Post" came to pass.

Hilzoy, over at Obsidian Wings, was the person asked to do the job and she has done so, please head over there after reading his final post and leave your comments and condolences for his family and friends.

What I don't want this to be is a chance for me, or anyone else, to be maudlin. I'm dead. That sucks, at least for me and my family and friends. But all the tears in the world aren't going to bring me back, so I would prefer that people remember the good things about me rather than mourning my loss. (If it turns out a specific number of tears will, in fact, bring me back to life, then by all means, break out the onions.) I had a pretty good life, as I noted above. Sure, all things being equal I would have preferred to have more time, but I have no business complaining with all the good fortune I've enjoyed in my life. So if you're up for that, put on a little 80s music (preferably vintage 1980-1984), grab a Coke and have a drink with me. If you have it, throw 'Freedom Isn't Free' from the Team America soundtrack in; if you can't laugh at that song, I think you need to lighten up a little. I'm dead, but if you're reading this, you're not, so take a moment to enjoy that happy fact.


So, I have my coke, Outside the Beltway has the song via Youtube up and here is to you Major Olmsted.

In his last post he asks for one specific thing, that his death not be used for political purposes, so if you wish to leave a comment, feel free, but I will delete anything that does not show respect for Major Olmsted's wish in this regard.

Have tissues and go read his final message to everyone.



Major Andrew Olmsted......RIP.

.