Custom Search

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Granting a Dying Man His Last Wish

I guess you could call this a "feel good" story.

Hospice Helps Dying Man Lose His Virginity

22-year-old Nick Wallis, who has muscular dystrophy, had hoped to experience sex before he died. After telling staff at the Douglas House hospice in Oxford of his wish, they decided to help him, reported London's Daily Telegraph.

Wallis had hoped to form a relationship through which to experience sex, but it just never happened.

"I had hoped to form a relationship when I went to university, but it didn't happen. I had to recognize that if was to experience sex I would have to pay for it out of my savings. My mind was made up before I discussed it with anyone else," Wallis said.

"I found an advert from a sex worker in a magazine for the disabled," Wallis said. "The initial contact was by email and then by phone."

It was arranged for the prostitute to visit Wallis' home while his parents went out.

"It was a decision two years in the making and I discussed it with my carers and my parents. Telling my mother and father was the hardest part, but in the end they gave me their support," Wallis told the Telegraph.

The hospice staff consulted a solicitor, clergy, and health care professionals before agreeing to assist Wallis.

Sister Frances, the founder of the hospice, described Wallis as "delightful, intelligent and aware young man."

"I know that some people will say 'You are a Christian foundation. What are you thinking about?' But we are here for all faiths and none," she said.

"It is not our job to make moral decisions for our guests. We came to the conclusion that it was our duty of care to support Nick emotionally and to help ensure his physical safety."

He wanted it, he got it. How do you say no to a dying man?

.