I'll post the video of the news conference as soon as it becomes available, until then we have media accounts, showing that according to the living Boston bomber suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, he and his deceased brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev were on their way to New York to plant the rest of their explosives at Times Square, which according to news reports yesterday, the younger of the two had visited back in November.
Three days after the Boston Marathon bombing, the Tsarnaev brothers intended to detonate their remaining explosives in Times Square but were thwarted when the owner of a carjacked SUV escaped, triggering a car chase and shootout with police, according to several media reports quoting law enforcement sourcesMore from the news conference via CNN:
NBC, ABC, CNN and Reuters report that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who has been charged in connection with the deadly Boston bombings, spelled out details of the plan to investigators from his hospital bed.
Reuters quotes one law enforcement source as saying that Dzhokhar and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan hijacked a car Thursday night with the intention of going to New York with their seven remaining explosive devices to set them off at Times Square.
The plan was aborted, according to the sources, when the owner of the hijacked car escaped and alerted police.That, in turn, led to a car chase in Watertown and shootout that left Dzhokhar wounded and Tamerlan dead.
The surviving suspect in the Boston bombings has told investigators that he and his brother planned to bomb Times Square, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Thursday.Reuters video of Bloomberg's presser below:
"Last night we were informed by the FBI that the surviving attacker revealed that New York City was next on their list of targets," Bloomberg said.The two came up with the plan spontaneously after the Boston bombing, as the talked in a car they hijacked, New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
[Update] - More:
Police Commissioner Kelly said that the men had prepared six explosive devices which they had with them: one pressure cooker bomb and five pipe bombs. He further reports that surveillance cameras captured footage of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in Times Square "with friends" in April of 2012, and that they believe he visited New York City once again in November of 2012. Commissioner Kelly also reports that, "to the best of my knowledge," the information was gleaned during a second interview of Dzhokhar, during which he was "more lucid" than previously, and also "speaking." Previous information indicated that Mr. Tsarnaev was unable to speak. Both Bloomberg and Kelly cautioned, however, that neither they nor anyone from the New York City Police Department were "in the room" during the interrogation.
With Dzhokhar on that November visit to Times Square were two others, who are in custody at the moment, yet officials still claim the two brothers were acting alone.
Yesterday's Eyewitness News report video below:
This brings back up questions I asked yesterday and on April 21, 2013.
Media claims the investigation has not led to other suspects or ties with known terrorist groups, yet the media doesn't address the two men associated with the younger Boston bomber Dzhokhar, who were taken into custody on the Friday Dzhokhar was captured, then released and picked up the very next day by ICE agents.
Nor is the media questioning who the two females that were taken away in a consulate car from an unnamed country that same morning, one of which was also taken into custody on Friday night, then released.
Originally Dzhokhar told authorities they were going to New York to "party."
The surviving suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, initially told investigators that they planned to go to New York to party after the Boston attack, the officials said. The New York police commissioner also gave this account Wednesday.